Friday, August 15, 2008

Taberna del Alabardero DC

For restaurant week this summer, my friend and I were committed to trying out Taberna del Alabardero. This restaurant has been on our list for an incredibly long time, but the menu is a bit extravagant for everyday dining, thus making it perfect for restaurant week. From the outside, Taberna does not stand out, but the inside is cute, cozy, and very Spanish. We started with a pitcher of Sangria for $28. Definitely more than you would pay for sangria in Spain or even for a decent bottle of Rioja here in the US, but it was good nonetheless. For my dinner, I had the white asparagus, rockfish, and strawberries with yogurt. The asparagus was in "pastel" form or as the waiter said "a mousse." It was very interesting - great flavor, odd consistency. In small amounts this would have been good, but with a full cake-like slice, I found myself kinda sickened by the end. As for the entree, the rockfish was perfect. The fish was fresh, tender, flaky, and with a crisp thin skin. The artichokes, tomatoes, and small pieces of chorizo definitely added depth to the plate. I absolutely loved this dish. It was light, tasty, and executed extremely well. The strawberries came in balsamic vinegar, which gave them a great tart yet sweet taste. My friends had the scallops to start, the goat and tuna for their entrees, and then the tarta and strawberries for dessert. I sampled the scallops and they had a wonderful Spanish flavor, rich yet light. The goat was tender and complex. I did not sample the tuna, but I did have a bite of the tarta. I liked the almond flavor, but felt the texture could have been more airy. Overall, it was an exceptional meal and I cannot wait for my next special occasion so I have an excuse to return to Taberna. I would love to do their Tasting of Spain menu, but I think someone else is going to have to fork over that $130 bill.

4.5/5
http://www.alabardero.com/

No comments: