Friday, February 8, 2008

Café La Ruche DC

Last Sunday, I went to Café La Ruche for brunch with a friend. Normally, I avoid French restaurants; French, being a cuisine that is usually heavy and creamy, does not sit well with me. [Except for this great French-Japanese fusion restaurant back in Campbell.] Anyway, Café La Ruche was wonderful. The small/quaint restaurant had a French feel, exemplified by the waiters that ignored you unless you pestered them. I ordered a toasted bagel sandwich with smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers, toamtoes, and lettuce that does not appear on the online menu. I don't even like cream cheese, but this bagel was amazing. All the flavors meshed perfectly and the capers gave the sandwich that extra something. If I could have this every weekend, I would. I declined on dessert at the table, but decided to get something to go. I had heard so much about their pastries and couldn't resist. The fruit tart I got with kiwis, raspberries, and strawberries was worth the $6. The pastry was flakey and delicious; the cream was sweet, but not too sweet; and the fruit was ripe and not sugar-glazed. I shared the tart with four others because it was just that big. The next time I can afford to gain a few extra pounds, count on me heading back to Café La Ruche.

3.5/5
http://www.cafelaruche.com/

No comments: