Thursday, October 30, 2008

La Sandia Tysons

This was the first restaurant I tried at Tysons, not counting TGIFridays or the food court, and it was exactly what I expected - snazzy, decent fair, and overpriced. The most attractive part about La Sandia, which also ended up being the best part about the restaurant, was the drink menu. The mango mojito was wonderful: minty and limey with a minimal trace of alcohol. I had the tacos baja, beef barbacoa enchilada, and chicken tamal combination platter and my friend ordered the beef quesadillas. Although I did not finish my platter, I tried some of each and my favorite was the tacos baja. This was the only one that was distinctly "modern mexican." The fish tasted like it was cooked in tempura batter, in fact, my immediate reaction after taking a bite was "japanese!" The chicken tamal was tasty, I enjoyed the addition of the avocado, but the beef enchilada tasted like beef in a tortilla - just beef. The beef quesadillas had something going on, you could definitely taste the citrus and chiles. Overall, not bad, but not worth it. You are paying for the convenience of being inside a mall.

3.75/5
http://www.modernmexican.com/lasandiavirginia/index.htm

No comments: